Jessica Bell's String Bridge Tour

Monday, November 7, 2011


I’m pleased to have Jessica Bell, author of String Bridge as my guest today. String Bridge, which I’ll describe as thought-provoking women's fiction, was released on November 1. Here are Jessica’s answers to the questions posed about the book and her writing.

Who or what inspired String Bridge?

Even though music doesn’t define me as much as writing does, it is still a big part of my life. The inspiration for the book came about when I was thinking about a time in my life when music was all I ever wanted to breathe. Even though my priorities had changed then, I still wanted to write about the power music has over someone who is so passionate about it. But I think music could be replaced by any sort of passion in String Bridge, because basically the story is about needing something more than you need yourself.


You noted on your site that you wrote String Bridge because you wanted to do something different from the ‘stereotypically glorified woman’ portrayed in women’s fiction. How is your protagonist, Melody, unique?

Well, she’s realistic. Melody hides nothing. The raw and brutal truth of her situation is portrayed and she never holds back. She is not a Hollywood wonder woman. She makes choices and has thoughts that women have in real life, and the outcomes of those choices and thoughts are not what one would expect from a blockbuster for the big screen.

Having experienced Melody’s journey toward self-actualization, what’s the most valuable message you think readers will take away from String Bridge?

I’m hoping readers will realize that there aren’t ever really any wrong choices in life, there are just different roads to follow. The challenge is to take a step back and figure out what is the most important to us before taking that leap in a new direction.

In terms of writing what you know, music plays a huge role in the novel, do you expect that this particular art form will show up in most of what you write in the future?

I should hope so. I’d love for music to become a sort of signature of mine. It’s only mildly present in my second novel, but it is certainly more prominent in my third. Mind you, I’m definitely going to have to do some research re the music aspect in my third novel because I don’t know a thing about Italian opera!
Jessica Bell

How challenging has it been to strike a balance between all that you do in terms of helping others with their writing career and focusing on your own work? 

Wow. This is a very good question. I’ve been finding it really difficult to say no when people ask for help. I’m not sure I have found balance, actually, because I absolutely love helping other writers. I will never forget what it felt like to be just starting out. You really need people who are willing to support you, otherwise you constantly feel like giving up. I don’t want any aspiring writer to feel like giving up. Writing takes work, effort, persistence, and self-belief. But sometimes you need others to believe in you to achieve that confidence in yourself. If I can help someone improve their craft, I will. They may have to wait a little while, depending on my workload, but chances are, I’m not going to say no.

Many thanks, Jessica, for this interview. Having just finished String Bridge last night (life having got in the way and all) I’ll be thinking about Melody and her family for a while yet. My review of String Bridge is here

Purchase links:


eBook
Amazon.com:  
http://tinyurl.com/7243f3u

Paperback:

Amazon.com: (Coming soon) 
Amazon UK: (Coming soon)

Soundtrack:

You can find Jessica on the web at the links below. 
String Bridge Website: http://www.stringbridge.com/
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11502954-string-bridge
String Bridge Book Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv-hRMA0kqQ
String Bridge Merchandise: http://www.cafepress.com/janicephelps/8155170
website: http://www.jessicacbell.com/
blog: http://thealliterativeallomorph.blogspot.com/
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/author.jessica.bell
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MsBessieBell
retreat & workshop site: http://hwrw.blogspot.com/


Bio:
Jessica Bell is a literary women's fiction author, poet and singer/songwriter who grew up in Melbourne, Australia, to two gothic rock musicians who had successful independent careers during the '80s and early '90s.

She spent much of her childhood travelling to and from Australia to Europe, experiencing two entirely different worlds, yet feeling equally at home in both environments. She currently lives in Athens, Greece and works as a freelance writer/editor for English Language Teaching publishers worldwide, such as HarperCollins, Pearson Education and Macmillan Education.


In addition to
String Bridge, Jessica has published a book of poetry called Twisted Velvet Chains. A full list of poems and short stories published in various anthologies and literary magazines can be found under Published Works & Awards, on her website.

From September 2012
Jessica will be hosting the Homeric Writers' Retreat & Workshop on the Greek island of Ithaca, home of Odysseus.